Comment on page
Advanced Review Settings
How to use review settings and advanced review settings
PullRequest makes it easy to automate which pull or merge requests are sent to our network by default, which are restricted, and which are canceled if a certain state is detected.
These configuration rules can be applied to the Organization-level (all connected repositories) and for specific repositories.
- Automatically send to PullRequest if the author matches "JohnDoe"
- Automatically cancel PullRequest review if a commit message contains "final"
- Don't send to PullRequest if the base branch matches "main"
These settings are evaluated in a configurable, descending order.
With your Organization selected, click Settings -> Review Settings -> Advanced Settings
Select a Project -> Project Settings -> Advanced Settings
For transparency, any rules applied to the Organization-level will be visible here so it's easier to view the full evaluation criteria. Though visible, Organization-level rules cannot be edited here.
Clicking the Add rule or Add another rule will render a prompt where you can add evaluation criteria.
If none of the criteria defined by the rules are met, whether or not a pull or merge request is sent to the network to be reviewed will depend on the basic Review Settings.
If configured to Automatically send pull requests to the network, it will be sent to the network to be reviewed by default. This is the best approach if you wish to have most of your pull or merge requests reviewed by our engineers with a few exceptions.
If configured to I'll manually select individual pull requests, it will not be sent to the PullRequest network by default. This is the best approach if you wish to have most of your pull or merge requests withheld from being reviewed by our engineers, but in some circumstances, you'll always want them reviewed if they match a predictable condition.
There are 2 types of arguments in Advanced Reviewer Settings rules. The first is the Operation:
There are 3 types of operations, if a condition evaluates to true the operation will execute and evaluation with stop for that PR.
- Don't send to PullRequest: This operation will prevent PRs from being sent to the network if a condition is met. This rule should be primarily used in the case that the project or org has most repositories set to auto-send. Note: This type of operation is most useful when paired with rules such as .
- Automatically send to PullRequest: This operation will send to the network if the repository default setting is manual and a condition is met.
- Automatically cancel PullRequest: This operation will cancel an active request that has already been sent to the network or (this effectively operates as a don't send pull request command) if the repository default settings is automatic and the condition is met.
The following is a list of the conditions that can be checked and cause operations to execute.
 - The "Review cost for the month" field is only applicable for teams with usage-based billing. This field does not apply for teams billed on a per-seat subscription basis.